Friday 1 March 2013

Font research

Below are some examples of fonts from old 1940's to some slightly later aged thrillers to help inspire my font and title choice.




Although the fonts of many thrillers are written in capitals, I am not sure if this is a style I myself wish to use for my thriller, as I am not sure what looks better aesthetically for titles such as the director. However, whilst researchiong I found that I particularly liked the fonts from such titles as 'The Shadow Of The Thin Man' and the 'Lady from Shanghai.' I therefore researched fonts along these lines on font websites and produced a sample below.

Although these samples are quite different to my initial inspiration, it allowed me to find a selection and style which I felt would be suitable for my thriller. I initially began playing about with a type writer font, as when it is used in the opening of thrillers can appear quite effective. However, I felt that this technique was more suitable for a detective thriller genre, rather than a noir genre.
I then found the font 'Noir-et-Blanc' but thought it was too modern and not stylish enough to be the font for a vintage Noir thriller. My next font 'Nite club' I really like, because it appears stylish and glamerous, and therefore portrays the essential elements that I want my thriller to feature. For these reasons, I am considering using this for the titles in my thriller.
The 'Raja Drama' font is a bold and striking font which I am also considering using for my thriller as it brings a sense of hollywood glamour, which was an important aspect of film noir at the time, and may therefore be a relevant font to use. However, one disadvantage of this font is that I feel it may be infact too bold to use for credits, and take away too much attention from the actual opening of the film itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment